Privacy and Security
This policy addresses the following:
- What is considered personal information?
- What personal information do we collect and hold?
- Why do we collect personal information?
- What happens if we are not able to collect personal information?
- How do we collect personal information?
- What may we do with your information?
- Do we use personal information for marketing?
- How do we use mobile?
- How do we disclose personal information?
- How can you access or correct personal information?
- How can you complain about a breach of privacy?
- Will your personal information be disclosed outside of NZ?
- What security measures are in place?
- Credit Card Security
- Reporting Phishing to The Warehouse
1. WHAT IS CONSIDERED PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Within this policy, “Personal Information” means the same as it does within the Privacy Act 1993. In general terms, this includes any information that can be used to personally identify you. This may include (but is not limited to) your name, age, gender, address, contact details (including phone numbers and email addresses) and possibly financial information, including your payment information. If the information we collect personally identifies you, or you are reasonably identifiable from it, then the information is considered personal information.
2. WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT AND HOLD?
We may collect the following types of personal information:
- Mailing or street address
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Age or birth date
- Profession, occupation or job title
- Details of the products and services you have purchased from us or which you have enquired about, together with any additional information necessary to deliver those products and services and to respond to your enquiries
- Any additional information relating to you that you provide to us directly through our websites or apps or in-store or indirectly through use of our website or online presence through our representatives or otherwise; and information you provide to us through our customer contact centre or customer surveys, or that is publicly available.
Your personal information will be held by Warehouse Stationery, 26 The Warehouse Way, Northcote, Auckland.
3. WHY DO WE COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Warehouse Stationery collects, holds, uses and discloses your personal information for the following purposes:
- To provide products and services to you
- To provide you with information or advice about existing and new products and services
- To communicate with you and process your requests
- To manage and enhance our products and services
- To personalise and customise your experience with The Warehouse Group. By ‘The Warehouse Group’ we mean us and companies related to us, such as companies that trade under the brands The Warehouse, Noel Leeming, Torpedo7, 1-Day, Warehouse Mobile and/or Diners Club (NZ) Limited
- To provide you with access to secure areas of our websites
- To conduct competitions or promotions on behalf of Warehouse Stationery and selected third parties
- To verify your identity
- To provide to third parties if you have authorised us to do so
- To conduct analysis across The Warehouse Group of companies.
- To conduct business processing functions for operation of our websites or our business,for our administrative, marketing, promotional, planning, product/service development, quality control and research purposes, or those of our contractors or external service providers.
- To investigate if we have reason to suspect a breach of any of our terms and conditions or any suspected unlawful activity; and/or as required or permitted by any law (including the Privacy Act).
4. WHAT HAPPENS IF WE ARE NOT ABLE TO COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION?
If you choose not to provide us with the personal information described within this policy, then:
- We may not be able to provide you with the product or services you have requested, either to the same standard or at all
- We may not be able to provide you with information about products or services that you may want, including information about discounts, sales or special promotions
- We may not be able to tailor our content, website and communications for your preferences.
5. HOW DO WE COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We do this in a variety of ways, including through:
- Your access and use of our website, apps and communications, including your registration details and information relating to your use of the website and the services, such as the content you access (for example, the products you have viewed, or the search queries you input)
- Your access and use of our Wi-Fi in store
- Your conversations or email or interaction, between you and our Customer Service Representatives, whether in store or at our Contact Centres
- Your completion of an application for a product purchase or service purchase.
You agree that we may also collect personal information from third parties, including:
- Third party companies such as credit reporting agencies, law enforcement agencies, and other government entities
- Mailing lists
- Contractors and business partners
- Other companies within The Warehouse Group
- To recognise your computer or device and greet you each time you visit our website, without bothering you with a request to register or log-in
- To keep track of products or services you view, so that we or other members of The Warehouse Group can send you news about those products or services or other similar or related products or services that we think you may be interested in.
- To measure traffic patterns, to determine which areas of our websites have been visited, and to measure transaction patterns in the aggregate
- To research our users' habits so that we can improve our online products and services
- To operate our websites efficiently with a high level of functionality
- To measure the effectiveness of our marketing initiatives
- To learn about customer preferences so that we can present customers with web content and advertising that is relevant to them
- To measure the number of advertising referrals we have received to our websites from other websites
- To produce data on web traffic and customer web activity through our website.
7. WHAT MAY WE DO WITH YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We may use the information we collect to help us to provide products and services to you, to verify your identity, and to occasionally notify you about important functionality changes to our website.
We may send you marketing communications and information about products and services that we consider may be of interest to you. These communications may be sent in various forms, including but not limited to, mail, SMS or email, in accordance with applicable marketing laws.
If at any stage you no longer wish to receive these notifications you may opt-out of receiving marketing communications from us by using the opt-out facilities provided (e.g. an unsubscribe link in a promotional email) or contacting us at email@example.com or 0800 222 246.
If you receive communications from us that you believe have been sent to you other than in accordance with this policy, or in breach of any law, please contact us.
We do not provide your personal information to other organisations for the purposes of direct marketing unless authorised by you.
We may also share your information with other companies in The Warehouse Group for the purpose of analysis.
8. DO WE USE PERSONAL INFORMATION FOR MARKETING?
We use personal information to provide you with information or advice about our existing and new products and services or those of The Warehouse Group companies. We also use it to conduct promotions on behalf of Warehouse Stationery and selected third parties. We will not collect usage data or target advertisements based on the following market segments:
- Political opinions
- Membership of a political association
- Religious beliefs or affiliations
- Philosophical beliefs
- Membership of a trade union
- Sexual preferences or practice
- Criminal record
- Health information.
We will not create categories designed to target children under the age of 18 years (however, this does not prevent us from marketing children's products to a general audience).
Third party advertisers may purchase advertising products from us that enable them to target particular types of users of our network, for advertisements served both on our network and also on third party websites. We do not permit advertisers to use any usage data obtained from our network to target advertisements or content to users off our network.
9. HOW DO WE USE MOBILE?
If you are using one of our mobile applications, and you accept that Warehouse Stationery can send you "Push Notifications", then you are agreeing to accept notifications from Warehouse Stationery even when the mobile application is not running. Your "Push Notification" preferences can be configured in the application's settings.
10. HOW DO WE DISCLOSE PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Where Warehouse Stationery utilises third parties to undertake services, we may provide those third parties with some of your information if it is required to fulfil those services and only to the extent required to fulfil those services. Examples of such third party providers may include:
- Service providers such as web hosting providers, IT systems administrators, mailing houses, couriers, payment processors, photographic analysers, data entry service providers, electronic network administrators, debt collectors, and professional advisers such as accountants, solicitors, business advisors and consultants
- Software providers such as customer relationship management, and accounting software
- Existing or potential suppliers, business partners or joint venture entities or partners
- Sponsors, or promoters of any competition that we conduct or promote via our services
- Specific third parties authorised by you to receive information held by us
- If you apply for BizRewards membership, to our BizRewards Partners and credit agencies (to verify your application and credit history)
We require any third party to protect your information against unauthorised use or disclosure.
Some of these service providers may be located overseas. We take reasonable steps to ensure that the overseas recipients of your personal information do not breach the privacy obligations relating to your personal information.
Beyond the above, we release personal information only when it is permitted under the Privacy Act or required by law for legal compliance and law enforcement (including to government agencies with statutory law enforcement responsibilities, and/or to your Internet Service Provider or network administrator); to facilitate court proceedings; enforce or apply our terms and conditions; or protect the rights, property, or safety of Warehouse Stationery, our users, or others, and where we reasonably believe that disclosure is necessary. Government agencies with statutory roles enabling them to request data from us include but are not restricted to the Police, Inland Revenue and the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment.
11. HOW CAN YOU ACCESS OR CORRECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
You may request access to any personal information we hold about you at any time by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 0800 222 246.
Your request will be processed in accordance with the Privacy Act 1993.
If you make an access request, we will ask you to verify your identity. There may be instances where we cannot grant you access to the personal information we hold. For example, we may need to refuse access if granting access would interfere with the privacy of others, or if it would result in a breach of confidentiality. If that happens, in most circumstances we will give you written reasons for any refusal.
If you believe that personal information we hold about you is incorrect, incomplete or inaccurate, then you may request us to amend it. We will consider if the information requires amendment and will not charge for making any amendments. If we do not agree that there are grounds for amendment, then we will add a note to the personal information stating that you disagree with it. Registered users of our websites can access and update their user details online. We request that you keep your information as current as possible so that we may continue to improve our service to you.
12. HOW CAN YOU COMPLAIN ABOUT A BREACH OF PRIVACY?
We have a formal procedure for investigating and dealing with complaints. Once the Privacy Officer receives a complaint in writing the Privacy Officer will commence an investigation with the relevant business unit from which the alleged breach stemmed. The investigator will endeavour to determine the nature of the breach and how it occurred.
We may contact you during the process to seek any further clarification if necessary. If a breach is found, the Privacy Officer will escalate the matter to management so that the process can be rectified to prevent any further breaches from taking place. We will also contact you to inform you of the outcome of the investigation. We will endeavour to resolve all investigations within a reasonable time.
We will treat your requests or complaints confidentially. Our representative will contact you within a reasonable time after receipt of your complaint to discuss your concerns and outline options regarding how they may be resolved. We will aim to ensure that your complaint is resolved in a timely and appropriate manner.
Please contact our Privacy Office at: Privacy Officer, The Warehouse Limited, PO Box 33470, Takapuna, Auckland 0740.
13. WILL YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION BE DISCLOSED OUTSIDE OF NZ?
We may disclose personal information to external service providers located overseas for some of the purposes listed above. We take reasonable steps to ensure that the overseas recipients of your personal information do not breach the privacy obligations relating to your personal information.
14. WHAT SECURITY MEASURES ARE IN PLACE?
We will take all reasonable steps to protect the personal information that we hold from misuse, loss, or unauthorised access or modification. If you suspect any misuse or loss of, or unauthorised access to, your personal information, please let us know immediately.
16. CREDIT CARD SECURITY
Shoppers purchasing by credit card are transferred to the Payment Express website to transact. This is a secure credit card payment service provided by Direct Payment Solutions. Our site neither collects nor stores your credit card details.
17. REPORTING PHISHING TO THE WAREHOUSE
What is Phishing?
Phishing is the attempt to obtain sensitive information such as usernames, passwords, and credit card details (and money), often for malicious reasons, by disguising as a trustworthy brand in an electronic communication.
What should I do if I suspect I have received a phishing email?
If you suspect you’ve received a phishing or malicious email, which says it’s from The Warehouse or uses the The Warehouse logo - please report it by forwarding the email to email@example.com
A genuine email from The Warehouse will always come from a thewarehouse.co.nz domain or sub-domain address, e.g. @thewarehouse.co.nz or @emails.thewarehouse.co.nz. So if it’s not from a thewarehouse.co.nz address, be suspicious.
Please also be aware that some phishing emails attempt to spoof (impersonate) our sending addresses, so they appear to come from thewarehouse.co.nz address but are actually sent from a different domain.
Do not click on any links or attachments in suspicious emails. Simply forward the email to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are still unsure if what you have received is a genuine email from The Warehouse, please contact customer services on 0800 733 665.