Tips for Keeping the Workplace Hygienic
All workplace environments need to be hygienic and safe for both employees and visitors. This applies to all, not just workplaces involved in handling food and personal products.
Hygiene is important in the workplace because it contributes to a healthy workforce. A healthy workforce is happier and more productive.
- Provide staff with a written hygiene policy. Inform them of your intentions and expectations of a clean workplace. This helps communicate to staff that you also take workplace hygiene seriously.
- Regularly wiping down desks, tables, keyboards, phones and other surfaces that are regularly touched, using a disinfectant
- Promoting good hand hygiene by making sanitisers available in the workplace and displaying posters promoting regular hand-washing
- Ensuring tissues are available at your workplaces, for those who develop a cough or runny nose, and closed bins for hygienic disposal
- It is pivotal for a hygienic workplace to have a clean bathroom. Also ensure that the bathroom is well stocked with soap, toilet paper and hand towels
- Internal communication. Remind employees of the importance of personal hygiene on a regular basis. Let them know how much it means to your business
- Remind employees to stay home if they are sick
- Employees could minimise contact with others in the workplace like possibly using an alternative to a handshake
- Be mindful of others, by coughing or sneezing into your elbow to reduce spreading germs and if others are coughing and sneezing remain healthy by distancing yourself